This Tuesday (31st January), Bristol’s best male and female water polo players will take to the pool in two huge matches against local rivals Cardiff, kicking off with the Women’s 1s at 8pm followed by the Men’s 1s at 9.15pm. Tristan Bradshaw, Water Polo Club Captain, brings you a preview of the two massive Premier South clashes.

Think a combination of wrestling, football and volleyball. Now put the players into a pool far too deep to stand in. You have now created what some have dubbed as the toughest sport in the world. For the players it is a physically draining four quarters of constant treading water and battling for the ball, while the fans gain an exhibition of human endurance and camaraderie.

The University of Bristol Swimming and Water Polo Club (UBSWPC) has a history of success in BUCS with the Men’s 1st Team crowned BUCS Champions three times in a row, with a 44 game unbeaten streak which lasted over four years. 11 medals in the past 13 years, and with the women this year still undefeated, this season is looking to be just as successful.

It is an exhibition of human endurance and camaraderie

The women will look to continue their unbeaten run which has seen six wins and a draw from seven games and consolidate their position at the top of the Premier South division with victory over third place Cardiff. Meanwhile, the men, sitting in second in their division, will be looking to close down on their opponents who are unbeaten this season and five points clear at the top of the table.

The Men’s 1s in training ahead of Tuesday’s big game

Across two men’s teams and a women’s team there is plenty of opportunity to try out the incredible sport of Water Polo here at university. To get a taste of the thrilling atmosphere, make sure to head down to the Bristol SU to support the teams in their crucial top of the table battles. Watch from poolside or the overhead balcony and get ready to shout for Bristol! #WeAreBristol

Get updates on the Water Polo and all other Bristol sport through our social media using #mightymaroon

Facebook // Epigram Sport // Twitter