It may be a new year, but no-one at UBAFC will be making any resolutions as the club looks for more of the same following a commanding first half to the season that saw no less than three UBAFC teams top their leagues over the Christmas break.

The club’s sensational start to the season has led to the strong possibility of a record-breaking BUCS points tally. With this in mind, club captain Malik Ouzia is daring to dream big, whilst simultaneously guarding against complacency.

“From the position we’ve put ourselves in, it would be a massive disappointment if we don’t take home some silverware. We’ve got a real shot at beating our best ever BUCS points tally, but we know we’ve won nothing yet.

The Men’s firsts in particular have already had so many ups and downs that we know how quickly everything can change, so we’ve got to be on it.”

“From the position we’ve put ourselves in, it would be a massive disappointment if we don’t take home some silverware.”

Back-to-back wins for the Men’s first-team – including a remarkable 3-1 derby-day victory over main promotion rivals Exeter – saw them surge to the summit of Western 2A and into the driving seat for the remaining half of the season.

Solidity has undeniably formed the core of this title-challenging campaign, with the team comfortably boasting the best defensive record in the division.

This is testament to the job done by centre-backs Ouzia and Ollie Woodhouse in marshalling the backline in the absence of Chris Abbott.

They have undoubtedly been helped in this endeavour by Jack Haire and Nick Thacker in the full-back positions. Their relentless running up and down the flanks in attack and defence has in many cases set the tone for the high-pressure game the team employs.

But perhaps the stand-out player of the season so far has been Al Harlington, whose pace, directness and end product on the left-wing will have left opposition right-backs with recurring nightmares for the foreseeable future.

Another player worthy of mention is striker Alex Ette, who since stepping up from the second-team has led the line superbly, holding the ball up well and scoring some important goals.

Big session for the club today, ran round the whole of Bristol with @noworneverfitnessptraining “can you dip that head?!”

A video posted by Bristol Football (@ubafc_official) on

They kick-off the New Year with a trip to rivals UWE seconds in the cup, and if that derby wasn’t enough, also play UWE firsts as part of the Varsity series in May.

This will of course take place at the recently expanded 27,000-seater Ashton Gate stadium, home of Bristol City FC- this is a game not to be missed.

Elsewhere at the club, the Men’s seconds and thirds also lead their respective leagues, and the fourth and fifth teams are within three points of first place in their divisions.

The Women’s first-team will be looking to build on their impressive away victory over title hopefuls Exeter firsts that saw them leap out of the relegation zone in Western 1A.

And finally, the Women’s second-team know a strong end to the season could yield promotion after a 7-0 mauling of Swansea seconds saw them rise to third place in Western 3A.

For more news and updates follow Epigram Sport on our social media

Facebook // Epigram Sport // Twitter