Bristol capped off an incredible start to their BUCS campaign by reaching 7th in the overall university league table, representing their highest ever ranking at this stage in the year as sports editor Jonathan Harding reports.

Our teams unsurprisingly went into the Christmas break in a party mood, and with 51% of Bristol teams currently sitting at 1st or 2nd in the league, there was plenty to celebrate.

With 289 victories to the university’s name, it would be difficult to single out any team for their contribution. However, there were some truly stand-out performances in the first term. In Surfing, Flora Lawton was in fine fettle, taking home the BUCS Surf 2016 title.  This top form was replicated on the slopes, as the Snowsports team dominated at the Dryslope Championships.

Elliot Evans was one of the key performers as UBSC brought home over 50 BUCS points from Edinburgh

On the field, Bristol were similarly successful, with the 5th Men’s Rugby team dispatching UWTSD and Aberstwyth 135-0 and 85-0 respectively. A different shaped ball yet a similar story, as UBAFC start the new year with their top three teams sitting pretty at the summit of their divisions and silverware at the end of the season a real prospect. This form was replicated by the women’s second team, who peppered USW’s goal in a 9-0 thumping earlier in the year.

There was an epidemic of high scoring fever throughout Bristol’s other teams. The Men’s Hockey Club put points on the board with ease, including their fourth team’s 14-0 demolition of Southampton Solent. Not to be outdone, Lacrosse Men’s first team won nine from nine including a 17-0 thrashing of Southampton. The Women’s Fencing first team were also unbeaten before the break, winning six from six, including a 135-42 mauling of Aberystwyth.

The women’s fencing first team after cruising to a 135-42 victory over Aberystywyth

Having won a staggering 61% of matches in the first term, the future looks bright for Bristol Sport. There is still a lot of hard work on the horizon and, with multiple teams going into 2017 at the top of the pile, Bristol Sport has its sights firmly set on silverware.

Get updates on everything Bristol sport through our social media using #mightymaroon

Facebook // Epigram Sport // Twitter