On the 1st of August, the University of Bristol launched Bristol Medical School.

Combining the School of Social and Community Medicine and the School of Clinical Science, the school will have more than 1,330 students and 300 staff, making it the largest in the institution.

Speaking on the launch, Professor Sarah Purdy, head of the school, said: “Bristol Medical School marks a new era in health research and education at the University.”

The launch coincides with the introduction of a new medical undergraduate curriculum (MB21) which will be taking in its first set of enthusiastic students this September. This new curriculum aims to move away from the current style of teaching in structured units and instead takes a much more integrated approach.

Students will be taught to approach the diagnosis and treatment of ill-health in the context of ‘whole person’ care, focusing on the wider social and wellbeing issues that affect patients’ health.

Professor Purdy adds: “This will be an exciting environment in which to work and study. Colleagues delivering cutting-edge research in areas including population health sciences, cardiovascular sciences, and neurosciences, will work with clinicians in the School and the NHS to provide a wide range of educational opportunities for students in the undergraduate medical programme, as well as those in postgraduate taught and research programmes.”

The new medical curriculum has been developed taking into consideration input from current medical students and the latest evidence from the medical education literature.

Keep up to date with Epigram Science and Tech

Facebook // Epigram Science & Technology // Twitter