Des Ibekwe, ELA officer at the Student Union has started a campaign to get free sanitary products at university.

Free sanitary products will be available at the ASS Library and the Students’ Union next week (9th-13th), with a Period Party being held on Friday. The party will take place at the SU Balloon Bar from 6.30pm.

The event has been created to raise awareness of the issues behind taxed sanitary products and period poverty.

Ibekwe says:
‘Sanitary products should be treated as an essential just like toilet paper, soap or even condoms all of which are available for free at the University.’

via GIPHY

The ELA officer will lobby the University to provide free sanitary products in all study spaces and student health centres.

‘Periods are unavoidable so in order for those who menstruate to be properly functioning members of society, to go to work, to school, and to university we need sanitary products’ Ibekwe commented.

At Friday’s event, there will be guest speakers from ‘The Homeless Period’ and Bristol Women’s Voice as well as music, activities, period-themed baked goods and the opportunity to meet student support groups.

The ELA officer also commented, ‘Period poverty is real and as an educational institution we have a duty to ensure no barriers to education exist for those who suffer from it. It is a hot button issue with retail giants such as Waitrose and Tesco absorbing the 5% tax and Scottish towns piloting schemes where the National Health Service provides free products for young people.

‘The institution should commit to ensuring there are no barriers to education posed by biological functions in the same way, admirably, it seeks to look after our sexual health via free STI/D checks and condoms on tap.’

You can support the campaign by attending the Period Party next week and signing the petition attached to the event’s Facebook page.

Do you think the university should provide free sanitary products? Let us know 

Facebook // Epigram // Twitter