Dr Dominique Thompson, the director of the Students’ Health Service, has been nominated by a former student for the Bristol Post’s Healthcare Professional of the Year award.

Dr Thompson has worked for the Health Service as a GP for 17 years, and is a University of Bristol graduate herself.

The former student who has nominated her had been struggling with depression and was in the final year of his degree, and he has said of Dr Thompson that she ‘normalised mental health’ for him and had an ‘instinctive grasp of the associated guilt and shame that can come with it’. He went on to say that ‘she was also one of the first people who made me feel like it wasn’t a weakness to ask for help. She made some of my issues bearable and understood that the process of recovering from years of feeling so low wasn’t instant’.

The award which she had been nominated for is open to health care professionals who deal with all types of health issues, both physical and mental, and the results are to be announced at an evening awards’ ceremony on 25th October.

What is your experience of the Students’ Health Service? Let us know

Facebook // Epigram // Twitter