Figures released by the University of Bristol reveal Vice-Chancellor, Hugh Brady, to earn above the national average.

The University of Bristol has released the earnings of Vice-Chancellor, Hugh Brady, at £282,472 after a proposal from Universities Minister Jo Johnson to fine universities for paying staff more than £150,000 a year without a valid reason.

With Vice-Chancellor pay packages nationally averaging £277,843 a year, the University of Bristol could potentially be fined under new proposals for failing to justify the pay of senior University figures.

The University have already come forward to justify the Vice Chancellor’s salary.

In reviewing the Vice-Chancellor’s salary, ‘the Remuneration Committee considers a number of factors taking account of performance, general pay movement for all University staff, retention, and any relevant market considerations,’ according to the university’s website.

Hugh Brady, University of Bristol Vice Chancellor

Under the new rules, it would additionally become compulsory for higher education institutions to disclose the details of any staff earning above £100,000 per annum.

This comes among calls for increased transparency regarding pay in higher education given the growing resentment towards tuition fees which was a subject of debate in the most recent election.

‘the University of Bristol offers a competitive remuneration package’

The University of Bristol currently has 119 staff earning over £100,000, and 12 of whom earning over £150,000. Johnson’s measures would be aimed at these 12 members of staff whose salaries set them firmly in the top one percent of UK earners and above that of the Prime Minister’s.

The University have responded by saying, ‘it is essential that the University of Bristol offers a competitive remuneration package that allows it to attract an outstanding Vice-Chancellor to lead this diverse and complex organisation of 22,000 students, over 6000 staff and an income of over £500 million.’

Large discrepancies in pay appear also to have motivated the new government proposals. Figures released from the University and College Union show that Vice-Chancellors earn six times more than the average pay of their staff.

Whilst it looks unlikely that Vice-Chancellors will have their pay capped, it is anticipated that universities will be expected to produce valid justifications for staff salaries decided upon by university remuneration committees.

Do you have a view on the salaries of University of Bristol staff? Let us know:

Facebook // Epigram // Twitter