Students are going to university more excited about lectures than nightlife, according to new research that defies student stereotypes. 

In a survey conducted by the NUS on behalf of insurance provider Endsleigh, over 2,000 UK students were asked what they were most looking forward to before they went to university. Nearly three quarters of those surveyed said they were most excited at the prospect of achieving academic success.

Students were also looking forward to the freedom of university, with nearly half looking forward to becoming independent, and a further quarter citing living away from home as a key benefit of university life.

Only one fifth of those surveyed were most excited about going out and partying.

‘Students deserve credit for the hard work and dedication that goes into attaining degrees’

Julia Alpan, Head of Marketing at Endsleigh, sees the results as a challenge to the public’s perception of students as work-shy and party-obsessed.

‘We wanted to demonstrate that most students are more focused on their studies than on over-indulging in the potential excesses of university life. Students deserve credit for the hard work and dedication that goes into attaining degrees’, she said.

Summer Hocking, Economics and Management student at Bristol, agreed with Alpan, arguing ‘it’s unfair for people to claim that students don’t care about their work. We’re doing our best, and people should appreciate that. I’m glad that this research has made that clear.’

‘Students really do care about their studies, even if they also like to party’

Bristol Geography students Leon Elliott and Luke Magar concurred with the results of the survey. Before coming to Bristol, Leon said, his main objective was to learn. ‘I was excited for the thrill of going out, but I felt like I’d worked so hard to get into uni, that the opportunity to further my studies came first’, he said.

Luke saw the student stereotype as ‘pretty simplistic’. He told Epigram, ‘I think the stereotype is part of a wider misconstrued narrative about student life. You can go out and work hard as well. Students really do care about their studies, even if they also like to party’.

What do you think of student stereotypes? Let us know:

Facebook // Epigram // Twitter