You ready, pitches? The University of Bristol’s resident warblers The Bristol Suspensions found national stardom when they won the 2016 University A Cappella Championship. And their next step? Only a TV debut in BBC talent search Pitch Battle. No biggie.

The University of Bristol’s very own student a cappella group, The Bristol Suspensions, are set to make their TV debut in a brand new talent competition Pitch Battle. The reality competition pits competitors’ vocal abilities against each other in a singing showdown, with The Bristol Suspensions competing on Saturday 8th July 2017.

Battling it out against 30 professional and amateur a cappella groups from all across the UK, the 2016 UK University A Cappella Champions, The Bristol Suspensions, are in with a chance of claiming the £50,000 prize at stake for the winners of the vocal battle.

Previous shows have already given us an insight into the talent and thrills of a cappella competition, introducing viewers to groups such as the Liverpool LMA Choir and Leeds Contemporary Singers.

One member of The Bristol Suspensions described the elating experience of performing: ‘The speaker system was awesome. Sound coming from every corner of the room and really emphasising each beat that I hit’.

Inspired by the 2012 hit film, Pitch Perfect starring Anna Kendrick and Rebel Wilson, Pitch Battle has sourced the man himself, Deke Sharon, the Musical Director for all the Pitch Perfect films to be the Series Musical Director.

Mel Giedroyc, the charismatic second half of The Great British Bake Off presenting duo, hosts the tensely fought competition. Joining her, a judging panel with a healthy set of credentials; famed choirmaster Gareth Malone, American singer Kelis, and guest judge of the week, Seal. The already decorated Bristol Suspensions, along with their competitors, will have their strengths and weaknesses unpicked and critiqued before the panel.

The 30 groups will compete across 5 heats, with only one group from each heat progressing to the Live Final. The Bristol Suspensions will have various opportunities throughout the competition to show off their vocal chords, including a group performance, a showstopper and a musically themed Riff Off. Aca-awesome!

The Bristol Suspensions in action.

Judges will have the opportunity to send a Wildcard to the Live Finals, meaning that any group previously dismissed from any of the five shows can make a grand comeback in the final showdown.

Having formed in 2014, The Bristol Suspensions are a mixed a cappella group comprised of students from the University of Bristol. Keen to raise the profile of their exciting talent, Pitch Battle presented the group with an ideal platform.

A member of The Bristol Suspensions said: ‘It was a big opportunity because a cappella is rapidly growing in popularity among the British public and it was a good chance to get people outside of Bristol listening to us’.

The Bristol Suspensions will be performing in the Edinburgh Fringe Festival after putting on a sellout show in 2016 (The Bristol Suspensions in: I Can’t Believe It’s Not Instruments! runs 21- 26 Aug).

To support the Bristol Suspensions, tune in and watch Pitch Battle airing on BBC One at 7.30pm this Saturday 8 July.

Facebook // Epigram // Twitter