On the 10th, 11th, 12th and 13th of July volunteers will be sorting through the masses of donations from students at the Victoria Rooms to raise money for local and national charities and prevent reusable goods going to waste. 

For the last two months Bristol Big Give (which is headed up by the University of Bristol’s Sustainability Departmenthave been encouraging students and local residents to donate their unwanted goods to the 20 British Heart Foundation clothing banks that have been set up in locations across Bristol. This week the annual city-wide recycling scheme is sorting through the tonnes of donations that have been collected and are expecting to raise £150,000 for local and national charities.

Unwanted pots and pans donated by students to the successful Big Give Event  in 2014!

As the summer exodus of students came to a close, volunteers  worked ceaselessly to collect the copious amounts of unwanted yet reusable items left by students moving out of their halls and into different residences. Rather than these leftover goods littering the streets or contributing to landfill waste, they will be turned into vital donations to charity. Previous donations have included kitchenware, bedding, clothes, food, sports equipment and books. 

Bristol Big Give 2014 from Bristol SU on Vimeo.

Last year, the campaign prevented over 78 tonnes of reusable goods from ending up in landfill sites and generated up to £135,000 for British Heart Foundation and other local charities. Gianni Angelini, BHF Professor of Cardiac Surgery at the University of Bristol  said that this money “funded a three-year research project, covering the costs of research equipment, laboratory materials and researcher salaries”. The Big Give also aims to minimise unsightly waste and fly-tipping which helps to improve the quality of life for local residents and improve relationships with residents in areas with a high student populations.

Volunteers sorting through donations

Rose Rooney, Sustainability Manager at the University of Bristol, said: “The Bristol Big Give offers students the opportunity to have a positive impact on their local environment, save resources and help a multitude of local charities by putting unwanted clothes and home items to good use.” The charity that will benefit profoundly from the scheme is the British Heart Foundation as well as 18 other local charities including St Mungo’s, Aid Box Community and Children’s Hospice South West.

If you want to get involved in this year’s Big Give head over to the Victoria Rooms with any last donations (opens at 11am and closes at 3pm)! For any information about future events organised by the Bristol Big Give please check out their Facebook page!

Have you been involved in the Bristol Big Give? Share your experience with Epigram!

Facebook // Epigram // Twitter