Join the team behind Bristol’s award-winning student newspaper. The perfect experience for careers in journalism and media, and an awesome way to get involved in student life.

Previous members of the editorial team have gone on to secure roles at top media organisations such as the BBC, Sky News and The Sunday Times Magazine, having gained invaluable hands-on skills and experience with Epigram. Fancy joining them?

If you have any questions about what any of the roles involve, the application process, or anything else you can think of, please don’t hesitate to drop us an email[email protected].

Section Editors

News team-

Being on the news team is a lot of work, but it is also a lot of fun. You will have the same responsibilities as other sections- see below- but you will also be expected to help cover breaking news stories. Examples from this year include the chemical scare in the Queen’s Building, the escaped convict, and the equal opportunities scandal which made national headlines. Making sure these stories are covered quickly is essential, but it is also extremely rewarding- one of our editors got invited onto the Jeremy Vine show on Radio 2 to talk about one of them!

We are also recruiting editors, deputy editors and online editors for all of our other sections, including:

Features – An in-depth discussion of current affairs.
Comment – Bristol student voices on university matters and beyond.
Letters – Making Bristol students’ voices heard.
Science and Tech- At the forefront of Bristol science and tech research.
Puzzles – Train your brain with our puzzle section
Sport – The home of Bristol sports coverage.
Arts – Art, theatre and literature from Bristol and beyond.
Music – Features, reviews and interviews with new and established artists.
Film and TV – News and reviews from the big screen to the small.
Food – All things food: recipes, reviews and trends.
What’s On – Your go-to guide for all things happening in Bristol.
Wellbeing – Pragmatic content for readers who may be struggling at University.
Living – Your tongue in cheek guide to Bristol student life.
Style – Keeping you up-to-date on the latest fashion, beauty and interior trends.
Travel – From Bristol to Brazil and anywhere in between.

What does it involve?

Being a section editor means that you will be responsible for commissioning content, editing articles, and designing the layout of the pages of your section using InDesign software. Online editors will be responsible for editing and uploading content to our website as well as managing the section’s social media – don’t worry, you’ll receive training in all of these things.

We are also recruiting for two new(ish) sections:

Multimedia-

This is a relatively new section that works in close co-operation with our Online Editor. We are looking to recruit a team who can dedicate themselves to producing content outside of the written word- this might mean filming news reports, creating video and Instagram summaries of our recent headlines, or even helping to create podcasts and audio for our website. Overall, this team will be dedicated to helping Epigram to expand and increase its presence as a multimedia news source for Bristol students. Camera experience is not required but preferable.

Cartoonist-

We are looking for someone to produce a small satirical cartoon or artwork to accompany our articles to be published in the fortnightly printed newspaper and on our website. Examples of writing are not required, but we request examples of your artwork.

To apply for any of these roles, please send:

• A covering letter
  • Your CV
  • An ideas sheet outlining your vision for the section
  • Three examples of your writing, preferably for student media

to [email protected] by Saturday 20th May. Feel free to specify if you have a preference of being a section editor, deputy editor or online editor.

Sub Editors

If you want to get involved but fancy something with a little less commitment, why not consider being a sub-editor? The team of sub-editors meets once a fortnight to proofread the paper, and being part of it is a great way to gain an insight into how the paper works. We’re also looking for a Chief Proofreader to head this team.

To apply for these roles, please send:

• Your CV
  • Your covering letter

to [email protected] by Saturday 20th May.

Webmaster

With thousands of visitors from all over the world visiting every week, the website forms the foundation of Epigram‘s digital presence.  We are looking for someone to assist our current Webmaster with the responsibility of monitoring all aspects of the site, its email and hosting servers, in order to continue to give the best user experience to all visitors.

To apply for the role of Webmaster, please send:

• Your CV
  •  Your covering letter

Curious to find out more about any of these roles? Drop an email to [email protected] and we’ll get back to you ASAP!