On the 22 April thousands of supporters of science will take to the streets of Bristol to add their weight to a worldwide movement of marches taking place that day in celebration of the vital role scientific evidence plays in everyday life.

Organised in collaboration with the At-Bristol Science Centre, the Bristol March for Science starts at 11am with a rally at Millennium Square. The event coincides with Earth Day.

The march will feature well known speakers such as TV naturalist Chris Packham and Science writer, Dr Simon Singh.

It will also feature local speakers such as Bruce Hood, Professor of Developmental Psychology in Society at the University of Bristol and Anna Starkey, Creative Director of At-Bristol.

UoB scientist and writer Dr Suzi Gage will also be speaking at the event, underlining the importance of government support and recognition of the worldwide importance of science and scientific research.

Jake Langham, a maths postdoc and march volunteer, commented: ‘Scientists feel undervalued. The important work that scientists do is too often dismissed or ignored if its conclusions are uncomfortable or difficult to understand.

‘Cuts to funding harm our ability to conduct basic research and many fear that Brexit will lead to the atrophy of our academic institutions in the UK. We are marching to highlight these issues and to celebrate the vital contribution that science makes to society as a whole.’

The rally will be followed by a two mile march through the city, looping back to Millennium Square.

Will you be attending the march? Let us know on social media!