As part of the celebrations welcoming in the university’s new chancellor Sir Paul Nurse, the University will have a 23ft giant balloon replica of the moon inside the Great Hall of the Wills Memorial Building, in collaboration with the UK Space Agency, at-Bristol and The Association for Science and Discovery Centres.

Titled Museum of the Moon, the installation is created by Bristol based artist Luke Jerram – the man also behind the incredibly popular water slide on Park Street in 2014. It will feature detailed imagery from NASA of the lunar surface, accompanied by music from different composers.

‘As the artwork travels from place to place, it will gather new musical compositions and collect the local moon mythologies and stories, as well as highlighting the latest moon’ said the artist on his website.

Students can pop along to see the moon in all its glory for free this weekend only. It will be opened to the public from 10am to 8pm on Saturday 25th March and from 10am to 5pm on Sunday 26th March, and there will also be the opportunity to see the artist himself, on Sunday, when he’ll be giving talks at 11.30am and 4.30pm.

What do you think of the latest new installation from Luke Jerram? Let us know.

Facebook // Epigram // Twitter