*Trigger warning: this article contains themes of suicide that some readers might find distressing.*

The University are urging students to make use of support services available following the death of a third year French and Italian student earlier this month.

The University has services available for concerned students, many of which can be found here. There are also external organisations that can help. For example, the Samaritans can be reached on the following number: 116 123 and Off the Record here: 0808 808 9120..

Related article: the warning signs of suicide and how to help them

The student was half way through their year abroad but was at home at the time.

A spokesperson for the University of Bristol said: ‘We were very saddened to hear that one of our third year students, Elsa Scaburri, sadly died near her home last week.

‘We understand from her family that Elsa took her own life, although it will be for the coroner to determine the cause of death. Elsa was halfway through a year abroad as part of her French and Italian degree.

‘The University offers its condolences to her family and friends and our thoughts are with them at this very sad time. The welfare of our students and staff continues to be our highest priority and it is distressing for all members of the University community that one of our students has died.

‘We would urge any students affected by this tragic incident to seek support from University services, friends or family. In the context of increasing national concerns about student mental health we have been working with our staff and students to review how best to support all students’ including those with enduring mental health difficulties.

‘We have increased staffing levels in our support services and have committed to invest an additional £1 million per year to provide wellbeing support for students in each academic school. We will also be signing the Time to Change pledge to help reduce the stigma of discussing mental health issues.’

It’s inevitable that many students will struggle with suicidal thoughts while at university, but we don’t have to do this alone.

If you are struggling with while at university, here are some places you can seek help:

• Student Health: 0117 330 2720
  • Off the Record: 0808 808 9120
  • NHS Helpline: 111
  • MindLine: 0808 808 0330
  • Bristol Crisis Service: 0300 555 0334
  • Samaritans: 116 123
  • HOPELineUK: 0800 068 41 41
  • Nightline: 0117 9266 266