In the second of our three ‘meet the candidates’ pieces, check out the men and women running to be your Union Affairs Officer and Student Living Officer…

Union Affairs Officer

Name: Patrick Thomas

Course: History

If you could change one thing about the university, what would it be? There is a crisis in mental health at the university. Students are under pressure to conform to an image of the archetypal student of working all day and going out every night. It’s an impossible image that’s been created and the university should put stronger structures in place to support wellbeing.

What’s the thing you’ve enjoyed most about being at Bristol? Being station manager of BURST! It has been the best experience with so many opportunities to meet different people from across the student body.

Favourite Bristol night out? Bargs Thursdays

Name: Stanford

Course: Politics and International Relations

If you could change one thing about the university, what would it be? Expansion of provision for people regarding mental health. People shouldn’t be impeded in their university progress if they can be helped.

What’s the thing you’ve enjoyed most about being at Bristol? I love having the opportunity to do ‘stuff’. It’s quite vague but when I came I thought I’d just do politics – I ended up performing in shows, indulging other hobbies. It’s very social and I want that to be reflected in my campaign.

Favourite Bristol night out? I’ll regret saying this but probably Lounge, and also a big love for OMG Wednesdays.

Name: Hari Sood

Course: Maths and Philosophy

If you could change one thing about the university, what would it be? How seriously they take the student population…

What’s the thing you’ve enjoyed most about being at Bristol? The atmosphere of the city, it’s a lovely place to live and there’s always new things going on.

Favourite Bristol night out? Taking people who’ve never been to the Cori Tap and watching them try to do the ten half pint challenge.

Student Living Officer

Name: Lucky Dube

Course: Music

If you could change one thing about the university, what would it be? Increase mental health spending in line with increasing student numbers and the rate of inflation

What’s the thing you’ve enjoyed most about being at Bristol? I suppose just living here! The city is big but also compact, you can walk everywhere, there are so many things you can see. So yeah, I guess just being a part of the city.

Favourite Bristol night out? In first year I very much enjoyed Stokes Croft, in second year a quieter night in the WG Grace and in third year Bargs seems like the place to be.

Name: Ben Duncan-Duggal

Course: Law

If you could change one thing about the university, what would it be? The fact that at the moment there’s no mandatory mental health training in terms of supporting and signposting students for personal tutors.

What’s the thing you’ve enjoyed most about being at Bristol? The amount of support and friendship I’ve had throughout my whole time here and that’s something that needs to be extended throughout the whole university community

Favourite Bristol night out? Disco nights at The Love Inn on a Friday or Saturday.

Name: Bharat Saini

Course: Management

If you could change one thing about the university, what would it be? The structure of the programmes, it’d be better if we gained more experience whilst studying.

What’s the thing you’ve enjoyed most about being at Bristol? The nightlife is great and the people are lovely.

Favourite Bristol night out? Go to a club and get drunk

Name: Tyrone Falls

Course: Physics and Philosophy

If you could change one thing about the university, what would it be? Rent cuts in halls

What’s the thing you’ve enjoyed most about being at Bristol? Bristol itself, it’s an amazing city, and there are so many places you can hang out. I also like that there are so many social movements in Bristol and that it’s very politically active.

Favourite Bristol night out? The Plough

Name: Adele Wills

Course: French and German

If you could change one thing about the university, what would it be?The university supporting counselling service more: it’ oversubscribed and underfunded, we need to make it bigger and better.

What’s the thing you’ve enjoyed most about being at Bristol? The music scene.

Favourite Bristol night out? Little Victories in Wapping Wharf – it’s great for coffee by day, and then going for a few beers in the evening.

Who will you be voting for? Let us know…

Facebook // Epigram // Twitter