Our second ‘meet the candidates’ piece shows you the candidates running for Undergraduate Education Officer, and why they think you should vote for them…

UG Officer

Name: Mason Ammar

Course: Economics and Management

If you could change one thing about the university, what would it be? The one thing that needs to change is how we deal with mental health in terms of support for students who are struggling. There is not adequate cultural mental health care for students from minorities; it’s hard to talk to go to talk to a counsellor who doesn’t understand. In particular, the personal tutor system really needs to be reformed so that everyone, from all backgrounds, can chat to someone who listens.

What’s the thing you’ve enjoyed most about being at Bristol? I’m from London, so Bristol’s a mini London except you don’t have to get on a stuffy smelly tube to go anywhere! But the one thing I love the most is the people, and also the community within the university. We have an amazing student body and an amazing political direction within it.

Favourite Bristol night out? This sounds really bad but every Friday night, SWX second floor – be there or be square. And then end the night off with some cheesy chips – that’s all it is.

Name: Martina Beleva

Course: History

If you could change one thing about the university, what would it be? There is a real problem with not having enough counsellors. There are only four, I believe – I would like to see the university employ more counsellors so mental health is taken seriously. Everyone should have one-to-one counselling sessions, even if nothing has gone wrong – because usually there is a two month waiting list for appointments!

What’s the thing you’ve enjoyed most about being at Bristol? Apart from the city, which is the answer most people would give – for me it is the people. The people I’ve met have literally changed my life!

Favourite Bristol night out? Secret bars

Name: Joshua Buxton

Course: Maths

If you could change one thing about the university, what would it be? Change in the way people think about degrees: rather than it being seen as a static process, I think it would be good to give more autonomy to students and more choice in the way they are assessed.

What’s the thing you’ve enjoyed most about being at Bristol? It’s such a vibrant, open minded city; there are a lot of very distinct places to visit and there is always something to do.

Favourite Bristol night out? Going with mates to Spoons, then going to The Canteen for live music

Name: Shauna Coleman

Course: Archeology and Anthropology

If you could change one thing about the university, what would it be? The way the university handles students and student complaints. For example, communication has been limited with the change in the NSS rules. I would introduce a YourSurvey for third year students so the NSS isn’t required. There students could make anonymous suggestions so there would be no pressure to compliment the people listening!

What’s the thing you’ve enjoyed most about being at Bristol? The nightlife and social aspect. I loved living in halls, and the nightlife is very friendly – I’ve never had any dangerous encounters or been forced to do anything.

Favourite Bristol night out? Probably Thekla – I always meet good people there, and bar staff are really friendly!

Name: Rebecca Filer

Course: History

If you could change one thing about the university, what would it be? I would reform the personal tutor system as it doesn’t offer enough support on welfare and academic matters. I’d make sure they’re all mental health first aid trained and that support is better advertised.

What’s the thing you’ve enjoyed most about being at Bristol? I love the city- there’s always something exciting and new and different to do.

Favourite Bristol night out? Lounge

Name: Zack Muddle

Course: Physics and Philosophy

If you could change one thing about the university, what would it be? One of the things I’ve been campaigning for is free education – against marketisation and government’s higher education reform.

What’s the thing you’ve enjoyed most about being at Bristol? Great philosophy department, and I really like the vibrant nature of the city and its diversity.

Favourite Bristol night out? I like spending my time on campaigns I’m passionate about – such as on migrant solidarity, which is really important given the rise in anti-migrant racism.

Name: Kerensa Phelps

Course: Biology

If you could change one thing about the university, what would it be? Better awareness of pastoral care resources and mental health support

What’s the thing you’ve enjoyed most about being at Bristol? Being a course rep

Favourite Bristol night out? Any club with good music and good friends, probably The Fleece

Who will you be voting for? Let us know…

Facebook // Epigram // Twitter