Bored of the predictable disappointment of Tinder, but the idea of signing up for Serious Dating Sites™  like Match.com terrifies you? Well, two psychologists at the University might just have the answer to your dating woes. And what better way to change your jaded view on all things lovey dovey than on the day that retailers and society pressure you to be most interested in just that; Valentine’s Day.

The dating app, the appropriately named ENTWINE, is exclusively available to University of Bristol students, but with aims to go nationwide. Created by Dr Roland Baddeley and Dr Felix Mercer Moss from the University’s School of Experimental Psychology department, the app gets users to evaluate three different pictures of their potential date and interweaves (in a way that we could say mimics its name) both cutting-edge psychological research, and ‘state-of-the-art machine-learning techniques’ to gain a better understanding of the eloquently described problem of  ‘who we choose to combine our genes with’, in other words, who we hook up with.

First Dates is looking for singles in Bristol!

‘The key to a successful match is to be found not in explicit answers to specific questions about, for instance, likes and dislikes or a yes-no response to a photo, but in a combination of your explicit and implicit responses – measured by the way you swipe your finger on the screen’ says Dr Baddeley.

‘Analysis of these three swipes, compared to other conventional online dating approaches, provides a richer and more predictive representation of how someone feels about another person’ highlighted Dr Mercer Moss.

Perhaps it may help you avoid then, potential Tinder nightmares like the one below:

Someone made a wish because this is a miracle

A photo posted by Unspirational (@tindernightmares) on

Though Dr Moss adds that the app ‘may or may not find the love of your life, but will hopefully reduce the number of dates where you know within the first ten seconds that this is not going to work’.

Ending on that optimistic note on the quest for love, here’s the link below if you want to try something new and get back on the dating scene, on a day when love is apparently more important than any of the other 364 days of the year.

*Epigram isn’t sceptical about love, of course.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/entwine/id1136635670?ls=1&mt=8

How do you feel about this new dating app? Will you get involved? Let us know.

Facebook // Epigram // Twitter