Newcomers to the university have no better way to draw a close to their freshers week than Tokyo World, the 2 day festival at Bristol’s Eastville Park on the 23rd and 24th of September.

Previously only taking place on one day, this year the festival have decided to keep things running for two. Festival goers will have a wide variety of music to choose from and if that’s not enough, Tokyo World are also hosting afterparties each night at Bristol’s warehouse super club – Motion. 

As the days toward the festival draw ever closer, here are some of the highlights to look out for across the weekend…

Ghostface Killah and Killah Priest (Live) – Saturday

Old school hip hop fans rejoice, taking centre stage on Saturday night is none other than prominent Wu-Tang Clan member and hip-hop legend Ghostface Killah. Kickstarting his solo career hot of the success of Wu-Tang in 1996, Ghostface Killah has continued to bolster the hip hop scene until the present. His most recent project being Sour Soul, a twelve track album in joint collaboration with young jazz maestros BadBadNotGood. He is joined on stage by Killah Priest, another Wu-Tang affiliate and established artist in his own right. For anyone even vaguely interested in rap and hip-hop, this is a duo not to be missed.

Watch the video for Ghostface Killah and BADBADNOTGOOD’S single from Sour Soul, ‘Ray Gun’ (feat MF Doom) below:

Blawan – Saturday

‘Arguably one of the most exciting techno producers in the world’, as described by Resident Advisor, is Blawan. This Yorkshire bred producer and DJ, now currently residing in Berlin has conjured some of the fiercest techno cuts with releases on R&S, Hessle Audio and now on his own label Ternesc. Shifting his production style from software based to strictly hardware, Blawan is all about percussion having been a drummer himself. Expect no-nonsense techno and eyes down floor fillers from this exciting young artist.

You can watch him in the Boiler Room at Dekmantel 2017 here:

Monki – Sunday

21 year old Zoo Music head honcho Monki is sure to supply a wide spectrum of deep house gems to Eastville Park. Having begun her mixing and radio career on a pirate radio show in Tolworth, Monki moved on to work at Rinse FM in east London. She is now a resident at Annie Mac’s globetrotting club night ‘AMP’, indicating her impressive musical knowledge and mixing ability onstage. Although her shows may not be for the house and techno purists out there, there’s no need for snobbery as her sets are undeniably fun and move at pace that will allow you no room to breathe.

Check out her most recent collaborative EP here:

Gorgon Sound – Sunday

Any Bristolian will be familiar with the duo Gorgon Sound (aka Kahn and Neek). Wave makers in the grime and dubstep scene, these Bristol natives have been taking dubstep and grime back to it’s original gritty roots affiliated with labels such as Deep Medi and their own Bandulu imprint. Fans will remember their monster rework of Sir Spyro’s ‘Topper Top’ – arguably every grime head’s anthem of 2016. As Gorgon Sound, you can expect a more dub and reggae flavour. They have supported the likes of Mala at the Deep Medi 10th anniversary tour across North America and tore down the Boiler Room in 2015. Expect some low end loveliness from this duo on Sunday night.

Have a listen to the Gorgon Sound rework of a Kahn classic here:

Going to Tokyo World this weekend? Let us know who you’re most excited to see in the comment section below.

Facebook // Epigram Music // Twitter