The Epigram Music Team choose their favourite independent venues that the city has to offer.

Cosies: Those in search of a more intimate club experience can find solace at Cosies. Located on Portland Square, the venue is both a wine bar and bistro by day that utterly transforms at night, and it’s name could not sum it up any better. Upon descending into the venue you will find candle lit caverns in it’s outdoor area and a ‘cosy’ indoor seating section. The dance floor is a brick vaulted cellar compact with a sound system that will rattle you to the core. Famous for it’s weekly dose of dub and reggae every Sunday    Cosies also hosts eclectic club nights throughout the week. Some of the best names in underground club music have been known to pop up here but be quick as tickets will be snapped up fast and it doesn’t have a large capacity.

Regram @psychotherapysessions bringing the vibes in our caves 👌🏼 #cosies #Bristol #bristolmusic

A post shared by Cosies! Bristol (@cosiesbristol) on

Bierkeller: 
Walk up the stairs into the Bierkeller and you enter a true bastion of Bristol’s independent music scene. This 700-capacity venue has hosted some of the city’s most exciting cultural events for over 30 years – stretching beyond music, to theatre and comedy too. Situated at the heart of the city centre, on All Saint’s Street, the Bierkeller is one of the venues involved in the annual Dot to Dot festival each May. Although it might seem that the place has its own microclimate as it gets so sweaty, this just adds to it’s charm and atmosphere.

This Autumn, The Horrors headline the Bierkeller on their October tour, as is ever-rising, singer-songwriter Declan McKenna, later in the year.

The Louisiana: The Louisiana is one of Bristol’s most intimate venues. With a tiny capacity of just 140 people, it’s the closest you could get to seeing an artist play in your living room. Despite it’s homely and welcoming feel, The ‘Louis’, as it;s endearingly known as, was born out of dramatic circumstances. One week in 1996, Placebo and Super Furry Animals were both due to play The Fleece, another Bristol venue, until it caught fire. Both gigs were moved to The Louisiana in Southville. For those two nights there wasn’t even a proper stage but one was soon built creating the venue that we know and love today.

This autumn, the likes of Sløtface and Autobahn will follow in the footsteps of so many others at the beginnings of their careers by playing at The Louis.

Good morning Bristol 🙂

A post shared by The Louisiana – Bristol (@louisiana.bristol) on

The Love Inn: Managed by the wonderful team responsible for Love Saves The Day festival, The Love Inn provides an intimate setting for passionate dance music lovers. With resident Dj’s being the forerunners in the current scene, routinely securing slots alongside big names such as Midland and on NTS Radio – Thursday nights at the Love Inn are not to be missed. Be sure to get there early as it fills up fast.

Don’t miss: Late Night Tales with Bill Brewster @ The Love Inn, 27/09/17.

The Crofter’s Rights: Across from the Love Inn, you’ll find The Crofters Rights, a cosy bar and gig space. Local produce characterises the venue in both its bookings and cider selections and gig promoters such as Gravy Train and NNTS regularly bringing the country’s rawest indie sounds to Stokes Croft. If you’re looking for grungy guitars, a good pint and possibly the odd disco night – Crofters is your go-to.

Have you checked out any of these venues? Let us know!

Facebook // Epigram Music // Twitter