On Saturday night Bristol’s favourite a cappella ensemble, The Bristol Suspensions, took to Clifton College’s Redgrave Theatre along side King’s College London’s The Rolling Tones for sell out show leaving the audience on their feet, begging for more. 

Perhaps you think you’re too cool for a-cappella, that you had left your days of binge-watching Glee and listening to the Pitch Perfect soundtrack on repeat behind you. Well, it wouldn’t take too long into a Suspensions concert to make you change your mind.

The Bristol University mixed a-cappella group may only be three years old, but they have already recorded a début album, released three music videos and sung on live radio. Not just this, they competed at the ICCA Semifinals, won an ICCA Quarterfinal, had an official sell out run at the Edinburgh Fringe. They have also received awards for Outstanding Arranging, Choreography and Vocal Percussion, alongside winning the prestigious Voice Festival UK’s University Competition last year. This isn’t amateur hour.

Hosted by the Group Manager, Joe Pickin, and incoming SU Union Affairs Officer, Stan Ford, the Suspensions had charisma and humour on stage throughout the evening, creating a friendly and welcoming atmosphere to their full 315 audience members.

The show opened with supporting acts Brizzlebox, a Bristol based beatbox quintet, and The Rolling Tones, Voice Fest 2017 champions from KCL, who each brought their own style and sound to the Redgrave.

The Suspensions’s set had something for everyone, from their S-Club vs Steps battle to their opening rendition of ‘Is Your Love Big Enough’, right through to the bass’s dream that is Josh Turner’s ‘Your Man’.

Other highlights of the show included the a-ca-parody of the musical theatre classic ‘Cell Block Tango’ from Chicago and the Suspensions staple ‘Uptown Funk’.

it is clear how much time and effort had gone into Saturday night’s show

Without a doubt, the show was stolen by third year alto Alice Tyler with her incredible, emotion-packed performance of Bon Iver’s ‘I can’t make you love me’. The unstoppable applause from the audience was testimony to her breathtaking solo.

Doing some singing

A post shared by A L I C E (@alicetyler) on

The Bristol Suspensions don’t do anything by halves and in spite of their pitch-perfect vocals, effortless charm and tight choreography it is clear how much time and effort had gone into Saturday night’s show.

If you missed your opportunity to see the Suspensions in their full glory, worry not!  The group will be returning to the Edinburgh Fringe Festival this August. But if you can’t wait until then, you can buy their CD here or listen to them here!

Did you get your hands on a Suspensions ticket?   Let us know what you thought in the comments below or via social media.

Facebook // Epigram Music // Twitter