All’s fair in love and war as Epigram Blind Date returns with Jamie Nugent and Helena Raymond-Hayling who search for love despite being editors for The Tab and Epigram. 

Jamie:

What do you look for in a girl normally?

I try to look for honesty and openness in someone.

Why did you agree to go on a blind date?

I’m political editor for The Tab, and I went on the date to meet someone new, and a chance to see how the other half live (those unfortunate enough to be employed by Epigram).

How did you feel before she arrived?

A little tired so I wasn’t on my best form.

Any awkward moments?

Only the fact that I was late which was embarrassing.

What did you like most about them?

I liked her honesty and quirkiness.

Was the conversation flowing?

We talked about a lot, from my time at school to housemates, to political issues like student loans and Isreal-Palestine. We even got a free drink voucher from the bar so that’s a huge bonus! She was a very nice girl and I would love to meet again.

Rating out of ten?

8/10

Helena:

What do you look for in a boy normally?

Usually when I date, I gravitate towards sad boys who write poems whilst crying into a tiny and pitifully overpriced cold brew macchiato.

I just always like meeting new people and going to new places, so, being single and rapidly running out of ‘friends of friends’, when I heard about Epigram’s Blind Date, I signed right up for the shits, gigs and the promise of a decent shag.

How did you feel before he arrived?                                                                               

I was nervous. I didn’t know what to expect and the fear of the unknown really got to me. Once id sat down I grabbed a napkin and started doodling, to save fidgeting and biting my nails. But it was a load of fuss over nothing. Top of Form.

I was fraternising with the enemy.

Any awkward moments?

We did have an awkward moment, when he mentioned he was a TAB writer (LOL, BEEF). I wasn’t sure if, as an epigram team member, I was fraternising with the enemy – but I was willing to put it aside.

What did you like most about them?

I found his level-headedness and genuinely informed opinions on such divisive issues refreshing and made for good conversation.

Was the conversation flowing?

I mean, the date began with some idle chat; we chatted about Shrewsbury, as he went to school there and my grandparents live near there, as did Charles Darwin, I learned. After the small talk and a couple of tasty cocktails, we hit the hard stuff. Brexit, naturally, student debt and Israel’s occupation of Palestine. No messing about was had, we made sure to draw lines in the sand and either build or burn bridges. Fortunately, we survived that conversation.

Rating out of ten?

6/10 because of tab affiliation, 8/10 if I put it aside.

Want to go on your own Epigram Blind Date? Get in touch!

Facebook // Epigram Living // Twitter