Worried about freshers’ week? Online Living Editor, Josie Roberts, gives you a few tips that she wished she knew this time last year.

1. Nervous you’re on your lonesome?

First and foremost, everyone is in the same boat. You may think you are going into this new crazy world of being a student completely on your ones however everyone is alone together! This may sound extremely oxymoronic, and as an English student I do love an oxymoron, but think about it. Rather than being nervous about going into a new social bubble alone, think of it as an opportunity. You can make new impressions, find likeminded people, and have new experiences. You’ll find on freshers’ week especially that people are super open and friendly towards all. What is scary about that?

1. Not sure when people are in their room?

When you get to your halls, a nifty way of letting everyone knowing you have firstly moved in and secondly are ready and waiting to make new pals is by bringing a door stop with you. Just pop your door open and then when people have popped to the kitchen for a cup of tea you they’ll pass your door and probably invite you along, or even come into your room and say hello!

1. You’re a Wills girl at heart but you’re stuck in Badock?

Don’t worry. You have time. Your accommodation can easily be changed. Your university experience will not be defined by your halls first and foremost. For instance, I was in the city centre all year and I did not feel isolated from the Stoke Bishop lot and vice versa. Also, a large proportion of my friends changed their halls rather easily and in some cases, they managed to change in the second term. I had friends going from Wills to Hiatt Baker, Churchill to Favell and Goldney to University Hall. The options are there so if you feel like you don’t fit in your assigned hall or you don’t get on with your flatmates, then change!

1. Freshers’ Flu: fact or fiction?

FACT. Because you are naturally having less sleep and eating less regularly, your body does take a toll and its defences are down. This combined with a new mass of students, all from varying locations, germs are spread quickly and easily. Need I mention clubbing and the proximity you are to complete strangers? My tip to you all is to stock up on Lemsip galore and stay as hydrated as possible. Having freshers’ flu and a hangover at once is not something I would recommend but will inevitably happen to a lot of you.

1. Your student loan has come in and you’re a baller?

Budgeting is something that slapped me in the face a week after freshers’ week because I totally overspent on events, food, and drink. Standard student behaviour. The main way that I managed my money last year was by having two accounts. One which held the bulk of my student loan and then I used the other to transfer my weekly allowance for food, going out, and drinks. When I ran out of that money that would be it and I wouldn’t go into my other account until the new week began. This honestly works like a charm. Another method I have just started using is by getting a Monzo card, which you top up and then whenever you use it, the app that is connected to it will notify you and categorise your spending. Not only can you keep track of how much your spending but you can see where you’re spending your money.

Although short but sweet, hopefully this will calm some of your freshers’ week nerves. You’re now entering into a new world of having to live on your own, meet completely new people from all over the country and world, look after yourself, and budget, and indeed they all sound really daunting but look at every non-fresher at this university and every other university, they did it, and you can too!

Do you want to reflect on your freshers’ week experience or find any of these tips useful? Get in touch!