With freshers week looming over our shoulders, we all drearily anticipate the ensuing hangovers and sleep deprivation- something many of us face as an inevitability. Food Editor Jane Cowie offers her best advice on how to combat it: with an enormous dish of delicious brunch to brighten up your day.

The morning after the night before. You bleakly peel your eye lids open, drag yourself out of bed and guzzle down as many paracetamol tablets as you can find. So, what’s the next port of call for you and your fellow miserably hungover friends? Why, brunch of course.

your headache may be eased by the crisp, fresh air, whilst you watch the world go by down Boyce’s Avenue

Bristol is full to the brim with independent restaurants serving the most incredible variety of brunch options.

who else adores eggs benedict for brunch? 🤗🥓🍳

A post shared by Jane (@janecowiefood) on

Whether you’re a sucker for a full English breakfast, crave nothing more than an indulgent pancake stack, or don’t think you could stomach anything else but a detoxifying smoothie, you will be sure to find the perfect spot to nestle in with you and your pals- even if it is a reason to distract yourself from the foggy, regretful memories of your undignified freshers’ night out.

So, without further ado, here is your very own (far too condensed) list of a select few of my personal favourite brunch spots scattered around Bristol:

Primrose Café

Nestled amongst the hustle and bustle of debatably the most picturesque area of Bristol, Primrose Café marks the entry way in to the beautiful streets of Clifton Village. Not only do the fantastic staff make almost all the food in house, all their food is sustainably and ethically sourced from local providers.

they have a brilliant array of healthy smoothies, as well as offering an indulgent selection of milkshakes for those with a real sweet tooth

With a wonderful outdoor seating area, your headache may be eased by the crisp, fresh air, whilst you watch the world go by down Boyce’s Avenue. Primrose Café offer a fantastic array of brunch dishes; however the best variety is offered on Sundays, served until 3pm.

Whether you’re craving Belgian waffles with bananas and hot chocolate sauce, the ‘Full Monty’ or a classic Eggs Benedict, they’ve got you sorted.

brunching to perfection #primrosecafe #mindblown #smashedavocado #foodie #bristolfoodporn

Boston Tea Party

Anyone who comes to Bristol University knows, and loves, BTP. With shops scattered around our beloved city, in Clifton Village, Whiteladies Road, Park Street, and Stokes Croft, you will always be within a walkable vicinity of BTP.

this cosy spot is the perfect place to detox and relax, with some of the best coffee Bristol can offer in hand

They have a brilliant array of healthy smoothies, as well as offering an indulgent selection of milkshakes for those with a real sweet tooth. These guys are notorious for their chorizo hash (or sweetcorn hash as the vegetarian alternative), and for good reason- if you haven’t tried it yet I suggest you do so immediately. Lucky for you, I’ve saved you the difficulty of having to sift through their all-too-tempting menu.

Tradewind Espresso

Tradewind Espresso encapsulates the chic café culture that has flooded Bristol in recent years. With its minimalist yet artistic décor, this cosy spot is the perfect place to detox and relax, with some of the best coffee Bristol can offer in hand.

This spot has a menu that ‘moves with the seasons’, and is prepared from the freshest seasonal produce in house. At the moment, you can enjoy anything from their home-made French toast with cinnamon roast pear and blackberry compote, to a spicy chorizo dish with rocket pesto, poached eggs and rosemary focaccia (I can recommend from experience the latter).

Spicy chorizo, rocket pesto & charred lime with caramelised onions, poached eggs, rosemary focaccia & chilli oil- £9

Brew

Brew is another extremely popular spot to visit; it is a universally known fact that Brew serve some of the best brunch dishes you could imagine. The menu is inspired by Middle Eastern flavours meaning their flavourful dishes and original and memorable. They offer a vast variety of ways to prepare poached eggs with additions such as beetroot borani, za’atar, chorizo crumb and tomato charred bacon. To spice up the brunch options in your life, give Brew a visit. I guarantee you will not regret it.

#Breakfast this morning was begging to be photographed 👌😍🍽 #foodporn

A post shared by Matt Navarra (@matnavarra) on

Do you have any personal favourite brunch spots around Bristol? Let us know about it! 

Instagram// Epigram Food // Twitter