Shoutout from Evy Tang : ‘To anyone considering Erasmus: APPLY.’

Two months into Erasmus and chill and your friends from all over the world say that golden phrase: “Come visit me, really, I’m serious, you are welcome to visit”. One of the best things about being abroad is meeting other people from abroad. I have made friends from quite literally all four corners of the globe and I feel so grateful and lucky for it.

In January, I visited a friend on New Zealand’s stunning South Island and enjoyed a glass of Marlborough Wine with a Marlborough local. Whilst out there I made friends with, among other nationalities, a Swiss girl who I’m visiting in two weeks.

Travelling experiences seem to exponentiate creating ever more globetrotting opportunities!

Since studying in Germany I’ve met a Dutch and a Montenegrin, both of whom I have plans to visit this summer. Two years ago, I stayed with another friend in Hong Kong and we explored the city, ate a lot of food and then would nap to recover from the gluttony. You begin to see my point. Travelling experiences seem to exponentiate creating ever more globetrotting opportunities!

You never quite realise how different your neighbours are until you live with them, the smallest of things stand out the most.

In my experience, meeting people from other cultures is always positive and rewarding. You never quite realise how different your neighbours are until you live with them, the smallest of things stand out the most. For example, I have finally learnt to anticipate that Italian friends will turn up late when you arrange to meet them whilst Dutch friends turn up 10 minutes early.

When in a bar, you must offer everyone a drink (don’t worry, there is an unspoken rule that the next person will get the next round), otherwise you are depicted as selfish and rude.

One thing is universal though: napping and procrastination.

One thing is universal though: napping and procrastination. Thank the good forces in the universe above, it’s not just the English who embrace the Spanish siesta!

Living abroad and travelling hasn’t been all smiles and idealistic Instagram-worthy experiences though. It is easy to feel lonely and far away from home, but we are all in the same boat and help each other through the bumpy times. Being away from everything familiar makes you vulnerable, but it is exactly that vulnerability which enables us to form such good friendships so quickly.

To anyone considering Erasmus: apply. I cannot emphasise enough what a fantastic programme it is and the opportunity is unlikely to come around again; bear in mind, you’re likely to have many very cheap holidays after the year is over by visiting all the friends you make!

Where have your travels taken you? Let us know at @e2travel

Share this…Share on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterShare on Google+