Liv Hunter reviews Hater, an interesting new app that matches people on what they hate rather than what they like. Time to get in touch with your dark side.

Most dating apps are characterised by cheesy one liners, a few catfishing selfies and occasionally a sprinkle of romance. Surely, it’s more realistic to find a true love who shares your hatred for Trump and public displays of affection? Fortunately, a new app launched this month is here for you.

Hater is there to match us love birds not only shared likes but also on what topics individuals mutually detest.

Related article: Bristol Uni’s own dating app analyses your swipe

Brendan Alper, founder of Hater, said the idea stemmed from a comedy sketch he was writing when he realised the app could be a dating sensation. Alper discussed frustration in dates from dating sites where once he met the individual there was absolutely nothing in common. He believes that two individuals form stronger bonds over shared dislikes than shared likes. Hard to disagree with right?

There is some scientific support for this idea in a study by Bosson and Co. named ‘Interpersonal Chemistry Through Negativity’.  It suggests that shared negative attitudes towards topics elicit a closer response between individuals than positive ones and, interestingly, this bond is even stronger over sharing negative topics with strangers.

After logging in with Facebook, creating a profile with up to 5 photos and a short bio, the app lists topics one after the other where you swipe in different directions depending on how strongly you feel about the topic.  With over 3,000 topics to ‘like’, ‘love’, ‘dislike’ or ‘hate’, what could be more perfect about finding out a little more about this cheeky match?

Seems the variety of topics includes anything from sport and inanimate objects, to politics and intimacy. For instance, topics such as ‘music during sex’, ‘the 2016 elections’ and ‘expensive cheese plates’ came up consecutively.

You can also skip topics, if, like some, you have no idea what’s trending world wide or just do not want to form an opinion on something. At least topics such as ‘abortion’ can be out of the way before the first date.

Surprise, surprise, when only 7% of individuals love it when “’girls ask guys to buy them drinks”

Once you have swiped on a topic, you can see how many others have agreed with you.  Surprise, surprise, when only 7% of individuals love it when “’girls ask guys to buy them drinks”. Apparently I’ve got it all wrong in SWX! However, according to Alper, the only consistently loved topic was guacamole with everything else being inconsistently rated.

When you have got sufficiently saddened by how many people hate ‘pillow fights’, (65%) then you can move onto viewing your matches. However, do remember to change the age range and preferences on the settings so a balding 52 year old man with a 72% match on mutual dislikes does not scare you away.

You can then swipe through a selection of close up pictures of this charming individual as well as seeing their topics that they’ve despised too. Almost better than Tinder by this point.

Hater misses out the awkward pick up lines or awful ‘hey’ introductions by the use of the apps light hearted trump cards

However, one feature that puts hater apart from all other dating apps is that it can hold your metaphorical hand when chatting to someone for the first time. Hater misses out the awkward pick up lines or awful ‘hey’ introductions by the use of the apps light hearted trump cards. They require you to fill in the blanks along the lines of ‘is it me or does it smell like (insert word) in here?’ Definitely time to play your cards right.

As to the future of Hater, Alper plans to expand the app to a more social level and change the language barrier; it is currently only available in English. He wants the app to have less bias towards dating and more to be used between friends all over the world as a comparison of views. Additionally, he is trying to incorporate brands into the app’s topics to see what the market thinks of their item.

Personally, I think the mutual hatred for something is quite a catch. It involves a little more brain power than the judgmental and slightly monotonous Tinder. I mean it’s great fun, if you’re looking for some light hearted relief and to be and want to be nosey! I’d definitely use one of the slightly rude topics as a conversation starter.

Unfortunately, Hater is only available on iOS and has not yet been released onto the android market. I know when Hater finds me someone who shares my hatred for Apple snobs, small talk and bucket hats – that he will be The One.

Let us know your thoughts on FB, Twitter or in the comment section below!

Facebook // Epigram Science & Technology // Twitter