Matilda Haymes reviews the ‘brunch party’ that was held at Motion nightclub earlier this week.

On Saturday 8th of April, Foozie Bristol and the city’s infamous nightclub, Motion, teamed to deliver the first day party of the summer.

Despite initially seeming somewhat optimistic, holding an outdoor event at the beginning of April, it was the most beautiful day of the year so far leaving the DJs in the dingy ‘tunnel’ room performing to an almost empty room.

Tickets for the event – available with or without a food token – were available through the Foozie website. Foozie describe themselves as an “online guide to everything foodie and boozie in Bristol”, cultivating and promoting different food related events around the city.

‘I’ll never let you gyoza’

Their aim is to inject a quirky and unforgettable flair into pop-up kitchens, with Brunch 808 being one of their more regular events, taking place once a month in Bristol.

Although the event had been advertised as a ‘brunch party’, by mid afternoon a lot of the crowd seemed less focused on the food and far more engrossed in the 24 hour Garage Girls set that illuminated the backyard terrace.

Despite arriving anticipating an order of poached eggs and avocado toast, ‘brunch’ actually turned out to be two street food stalls with one selling Japanese style gyozas, the other posh burgers.

‘Meeting you was far from a mis-steak’

Eatchu, the Japanese stall, are based in St Nick’s Market, specialising in handmade gyozas. Although offering a range of tempting meat options, I eventually opted for the vegetarian gyoza, which was filled with tofu and spinach. They were served with a range of toppings, including fried onions and seaweed salt, and a chilli and garlic Japanese mayonnaise, recommended by the Eatchu staff.

the magic combination of good food, good music and brilliant sunshine.

The other stall on offer was a burger stall called Burger Theory. Describing themselves as a ‘creative burger company’, the stall have a restaurant on King’s Street in the City Centre and their food is also on offer at other locations, including The Golden Lion on Gloucester Road and Kongs in Cardiff.

They regular cater for events and a variety of festivals around the UK.  From this stall we opted for a ‘Prairie Girl’ burger, a BBQ fried chicken burger in a brioche bun, made freshly in front of us.

Although there were only two stalls available at the event, the contrasting nature of Eatchu and Burger Theory meant that there was something for everyone and both stalls were heavily attended throughout the day.

The party was the perfect warm-up to a summer of festivals, reminding all the guests of the magic combination of good food, good music and brilliant sunshine.

Have you visited any foodie events that you want to tell us about? Get involved!

Facebook // Epigram Food // Twitter