Online Style Editor, Alex Boulton, reviews the latest innovation in vintage shopping. 

First founded in 2016, Vintage Weigh and Pay paid a visit to Motion on the 19th of February and Epigram Style tagged along to see what it was all about. The basic premise is that you pay however much your haul weighs, with one kilo being £15. The stock comes straight from wholesalers, providing customers the opportunity to shop at trade prices.

There was typical vintage clothing on sale, similar to that you’d see in Sobey’s or another vintage shop, except at a fraction of the price. Both men’s and womenswear is stocked and it was all very organised, kudos to the numerous assistants constantly tidying and adding new stock, and clothes were organised dependant on type.

What a bargain outfit! Shirt £1.50 Skirt £1.50 Bag £1.50 Silk scarf 75p!

A post shared by Weigh & Pay (@vintageweighandpay) on

There was everything from jeans to shirts, shoes to bags, mostly on hangers or in piles. The organisers reasoned they didn’t organise dependant on size due to the constant addition of new stock and I don’t think this was a problem at all as sizing isn’t exactly a priority when vintage shopping. The only thing I would say, it was hard to dig through the stock in piles, especially the jean pile so perhaps the organisation was let down by this.

Entrance was £1.50 from 11am, or you could arrive an hour earlier for earlybird entry and pay £3. I’m not sure how worth it this is, considering new stock is added all day. I arrived at 2 and there was were still plenty of finds. On entering, you get a clear bin liner to put clothes that take your fancy in and a stamp so you can leave and re-enter as many times you wish.

Branded denim galore today #vintageweighandpay #kilosale #weighandpay #levis #bristolmotion

While you are shopping, you can use the scales set out to estimate how much you are spending and there are changing rooms provided and mirrors around the room to try before you buy. Once done you go to the paying scales and your bag gets weighed and tied up. There was the option of cash or card.

Lots of fab converse here today 😍 #vintageweighandpay #kilosale

You could go below or above one kilo and there were some bargains to be had, my favourite being a number of silk scarves that weighed so little they were practically free amongst the rest of my purchases. There were many branded pieces, an abundance of Levi jeans and converse. I weighed a pair of Converse and it was revealed they only cost £10 with this system.

All very easy and stress-free. Perhaps the only downside was how far away it was held. Motion isn’t that easy to get to at the best of times and the distance from campus must have put many people off. Ultimately, the prices were unbeatable, especially for lighter objects. Vintage Weigh and Pay promises to return to Bristol soon, so keep an eye out for future events.

Keep up to date with Epigram Style on
Facebook // Twitter // Instagram