Like film? Like Anthropology? Then this is for you. Adele Fraser is here to tell you all about the upcoming RAI Film Festival, starting tomorrow.

This week the Royal Anthropological Institute will be hosting their biennial film festival. The festival, featuring short films that concern anthropology, ethnography and archaeology will be taking place between the 29th-1st April.

The programme for the festival includes 35 contemporary ethnographic documentaries competing in four main prize categories, 11 special out-of-competition screenings and a wide range of workshops, masterclasses and gala events.

Highlights from the festival include a selection of topical films on migration, which focus on the Mediterranean route into Europe. Lampedusa in Winter is a portrait of the small, remote Italian island and its inhabitants, fishermen and migrants. Those Who Jump (which premiered at Berlinale) is filmed by a Malian man living in a camp on the border between Morocco and Spain who, with many others, regularly attempts to jump the high wire fence that separates him from Europe.

Japanese film also features prominently in the festival. Films include: The Day the Sun Fell, a Locarno Premiere by Swiss-Japanese Aya Domenig, about the bombing of Hiroshima and the nuclear disaster in Fukushima; and Ama-san, a delicate and visually enchanting celebration of the female abalone divers who fish in the Pacific Ocean with no aid from air tanks or any other tools to enable underwater breathing. These will be a particularly eye opening insight into the often under represented lives of ordinary Japanese people.

Those who may be interested in a career in Anthropology may be happy to hear that there will be an event on career paths in Visual Anthropology. There will be a forum with distributors and commissioners, chaired by Andre Singer, and a workshop on career options for Visual Anthropologists (Life after MAVIS).

The full programme is now available for you to peruse the films and book tickets for any events you may wish to attend.

Are you excited for a particular event? Let us know on @EpigramFilm.

Facebook // Epigram Film & TV // Twitter