In the first of our three ‘meet the candidates’ pieces, check out the men and women running to be your Sport & Student Development Officer and Equality, Liberation and Access Officer…

ELA Officer

Name: Des Ibekwe

Course: Law

If you could change one thing about the university, what would it be? I think it would be the way in which policy is framed. A lot of what has happened in the last year has been reactionary rather than seeking to prevent an issue.

What’s the thing you’ve enjoyed most about being at Bristol? It sounds really cheesy but it’s a really vibrant city, it’s fun and there’s loads to do but coming from London it’s an easier pace.

Favourite Bristol night out? Brooklyn Zoo

Name: Gee Soothill

Course: Archaeology and Anthropology

If you could change one thing about the university, what would it be? Introduce mandatory equality training for all student-facing staff, even if it’s just a one-hour seminar at the start of each year with the ELA officer

What’s the thing you’ve enjoyed most about being at Bristol? Engaging with the city, stepping outside of the student area and enjoying parts of the city that aren’t always seen by students.

Favourite Bristol night out? Just a house party, preferably where someone has a dog!

Name: Sophia Ehimiajhe

Course: Philosophy and Politics

If you could change one thing about the university, what would it be?More of a focus on catering to the needs of international students and their academic and personal development.

What’s the thing you’ve enjoyed most about being at Bristol? The city itself, and the people are so friendly.

Favourite Bristol night out? Brooklyn Zoo.

Name: Amy Finch

Course: Biology

If you could change one thing about the university, what would it be? I think there’s a real crisis with sexual violence on campus that we need to start dealing with more seriously – one in three women have been sexually assaulted. I want to start a new campaign #EverydaySexismInBristol where people can get support and get a staff-student relationship policy in place.

What’s the thing you’ve enjoyed most about being at Bristol? Being Deputy News Editor on Epigram has been the most rewarding thing I’ve done. I like breaking stories that put the university on edge, and get a bit too excited getting into a tense email exchange with the press office.

Favourite Bristol night out? Maybe Good Life, but Bargs is a guilty pleasure.

Name: Rowena Salmon

Course: History

If you could change one thing about the university, what would it be? There are two things, but they are two sides of the same coin. Firstly, I want to see better disciplinary action against hate crimes and more accessible reporting procedures, and, secondly, more support for the victims of these crimes.

What’s the thing you’ve enjoyed most about being at Bristol? I love getting out of the student bubble – especially for live music and meeting people!

Favourite Bristol night out? Mr Wolf’s

Name Nick Chedgey

Course Computer Science

If you could change one thing about the university, what would it be? One of the most dramatic ways we can make a difference in Bristol is to take the investment in welfare support and make it inclusive and internal to university life. So far several services have been introduced – we’re given lots of help with mental health and general welfare – but students have to go out and find it for themselves. There’s a risk that the most vulnerable people will be missed and will fall through the cracks. We need to find a constructive way to put those services in their path, and make it part of university time.

What’s the thing you’ve enjoyed most about being at Bristol? Bristol itself: the city, the community, the people.

Favourite Bristol night out? A chill night out with friends and some drinks.

Sport & Student Development Officer

Name: John House

Course: Re-running for role

If you could change one thing about the university, what would it be? I want more recognition that Bristol is a top ten university for sport

What’s the thing you’ve enjoyed most about being at Bristol?  Being member of a sports club here and being part of that community – it’s a unique and wonderful thing to be a part of.

Favourite Bristol night out? Has to be Sports night, followed after by a trip to M&M’s.

Name: James Moulder

Course: Ancient History

If you could change one thing about the university, what would it be? Draw more attention to the wider student population. The last few years have been very performance based and I’d like to see more attention paid to what the rest of students are up to.

What’s the thing you’ve enjoyed most about being at Bristol? My role in the sports department as student intern. It’s allowed me to stay involved in sport after not being able to participate because of an injury and I’ve met everyone from club captains to students who don’t like sport but just want to be active.

Favourite Bristol night out? Lola’s

Who will you be voting for? Let us know…

Facebook // Epigram // Twitter