Ellen Jones celebrates our very own, and favourite, Boston Tea Party, and tells us why it really is the Queen of the Cafe’s in Bristol.

Boston Tea Party. A rite of passage for all Bristol residents, and students in particular. After all, who better than the avocado-adoring, caffeine-fuelled undergraduates which populate most of the mile radius surrounding Whiteladies Road to enjoy the delights that BTP offers?

I am completely confident that everyone reading this review has been to Boston Tea Party. In fact, probably Park Street’s, Whiteladies’, Clifton Village’s and Gloucester Road’s. You are all aware of how delicious their Chai Latte’s are, not least owing to the copious choice of milks on offer!

This, my friends, is a long overdue ode to the one, the only, Queen BTP.

If you’re looking to satisfy your ‘avo on sourdough’ cravings, BTP is the answer. Plus their free Wi-Fi means you can pretend to be productive, whilst getting some Facebook stalking done and nibbling on something inevitably delicious.

I am going to guide you through some of the do’s and don’ts of Bristol’s go-to café/surrogate library. This, my friends, is a long overdue ode to the one, the only, Queen BTP.

At least pretend to love superfoods so you can come out feeling nourished and virtuous.

Do not…

Forget to ask for a stamp.

Life’s a game, and we’re the players. The barista won’t remind you to collect your stamp, and every time you forget, you’re one step further away from your free 10th drink. Have your card at the ready and earn those well-deserved loyalty points.

Keep your eyes peeled for some exciting btp competitions coming your way this #february!

A post shared by Boston Tea Party Clifton (@bostonteapartyclifton) on

Go there for a ‘quick drink’.

No, no, no. It’s all about milking the free internet and using the comfy seats for as long as possible. If you’re in there for less than 30 minutes, you’re not getting your money’s worth. Ensure that Julia behind the till knows your name too. She might even give you two stamps for one drink! #winning.

Order a bacon butty.

I went with a friend the other day, and was horrified to find that my almond milk chai latte arrived with her bacon bap and chips. Why? What’s the point? If you’re going to BTP, try and at least pretend to love superfoods so you can come out feeling nourished and virtuous.

My favourite trick is ordering a gluten free delight from the counter. It’s inevitably unhealthy, but if it doesn’t sound naughty then it doesn’t count! Seriously though, try the granola bars and carrot cakes. You won’t regret it.

Officially our prettiest #cake ever. Coffee, cardamom and walnut… And it’s #vegan too! #toogoodtoeat

A post shared by Boston Tea Party (@btpcafes) on

Do:

Try the soup

At £4.25 for the daily special and a generous chunk of bread, it’s a real winner! Don’t worry if you’re a regular because the soup option changes every day. My personal favourites are the chorizo and white bean, and the sausage and lentil. It’s also one of the fastest meals to come to the table so arriving hungry after an inconveniently timetabled 12-2pm seminar isn’t an issue.

Mix up your spot

The great thing about being in Bristol is that, as the home of BTP, there are SO many to choose from. On a sunny day, try Park Street, and make the most of their lovely little garden.

Feeling lazy? Stick to Whiteladies – it’s close to Uni and you can do your bi-weekly Sainsbury’s shop in the same outing! Feeling adventurous? Try Stokes Croft! It might be a little bit of a trek but you can justifiably order lunch AND a cake – you earned it.

Savour the moments

BTP, unfortunately, can’t be found everywhere. And, when the majority of Bristol students inevitably migrate back to London at the end of the year, they’re going to get withdrawal symptoms. All we can do is make the most of the reasonably priced and varied menu, the super-friendly staff, and the free board games whilst we can. Cheers to you, BTP, we love you!

Do you have a favourite cafe that you want to share your love for? Get in touch!

Facebook // Epigram Food // Twitter