The Sunday Times Best Places to Live Guide has named Bristol as the UK’s finest city to live in, describing it as ‘cool, classy, and supremely creative’.

The guide, which considers every city in Great Britain and Northern Ireland, cited the city’s ‘extraordinary culture’ as the reason for it being so ‘special’, whilst also praising its ideal location, close to ‘seaside and scenery’ but still well-connected to London and the rest of the country.

‘It’s not just the plays at the Bristol Old Vic or the Hippodrome, the exhibitions at the Arnolfini or the gigs at Colston Hall that make it stand out,’ the guide said. ‘This is a place where creative individuals seem able to thrive, collaborate and prosper.’

The city’s educational institutions were also mentioned, with its two universities applauded alongside its excellent record of boasting 19 secondary schools with a ‘good’ or ‘outstanding’ OFSTED classification.

A video posted by The Sunday Times included a montage of Bristol highlights, including the annual hot air balloon festival, Brunel’s SS Great Britain and the works of Banksy and Wallace and Gromit creator, Nick Park.

The accolade comes just two months after Rough Guides named Bristol as the fourth best city to visit in the world, behind Paris, Isfahan and Nairobi.

Do you agree with Bristol’s ranking? Or is your home city a better place to live? 

Facebook // Epigram // Twitter