Festival-hopper,  Em Shinta Lampard shares her wisdom with us to help you set your summer to the right note. 

The prospect of a few sunny weeks during the summer is often the only thing that gets me through these dark months. Let’s be honest, bar the distant image of an Easter bunny that somehow never makes it to my houses, nothing of significance is soon to happen.

Happy memories.

De La Soul, Earth Wind & Fire, Chaka Khan, Van Morrison, Grace Jones and Kelis have graced the stage…

Memories of warm weekends past whisk me back to Love Supreme, a fairly small yet star studded Jazz festival in the idyllic South Downs. Here, the likes of De La Soul, Earth Wind & Fire, Chaka Khan, Van Morrison, Grace Jones and Kelis have graced the stage since it started in 2013. With families pack up their camping chairs for the day, everyone heads to the woods for a late night boogie. Don’t be perturbed, this is not forest rave, the experience is enjoyably un-intense.

Another small, mellow festival is Samphire- named ‘best small festival 2016’ by the NOEA, it started as a crowdfunding project and is set by the seaside in Somerset.

If you’re pining after some more assured sunshine…

If you’re pining after some more assured sunshine, and want to make the most of Europe whilst it’s still accessible, a Croatian festival might suit you.

Outlook.

Among these is Outlook, which, labelled as Europe’s leading sound-system culture festival, is based in the fortress ruin, Fort Punta Christo on the stunning coast of Pula.

Granted, on the last night, torrential rain flooded the moat whilst Benga completed the weekend with a stellar set. That said, otherwise, the weather and setting were paradisiacal. Furthermore, 2017 will mark Outlook’s 10th birthday so it’s set to be a big one!

If guaranteed sunshine, constant boat parties and a spectacular beach backdrop appeal but you are searching for different soundtracks do not fear. There are a few other festivals held at this same site.

The Garden, Tisno also provides these features in an equalled setting- less than 36km from Krka National Park-where house and disco-orientated festivals occupy the dazzling shores.

Among these is Love International, recent predecessor of The Garden festival. This is run by Team Love- the company behind Bristol’s Love Saves The Day, Glastonbury and other top UK festivals.

Searching for sunshine.

The overall cost will be substantial. However, extended into a holiday, you’ll find cheaper flights while reaping the obvious benefits of an additional holiday.

If you’re feeling especially adventurous and continental, we found that Croatia works perfectly as the final stop of an inter-railing trip.

If you’re feeling especially adventurous and continental, we found that Croatia works perfectly as the final stop of an inter-railing trip.Other festivals to fill this role include Tomorrowland, Belgium: a world famous electronic music festival for ‘the people of tomorrow.’

Exit, Serbia is also on the cards- this begun with a student movement in 2000 which strove for greater unity, harmony and consciousness in Serbia, the Balkan states and the world.

Fear not, travelling abroad is by no means a necessity. The UK is home to many, if not most, of the best festivals in the world.

Forest vibes

Gottwood is across the bridge for the underground electronic,(techno in particular), lovers amongst you. Set in a magical forest with its own beach; this compact yet festival is dedicated to remaining intimate.

Nozstock the Hidden Valley also provides a memorable, smaller UK festival with a less exclusive feel. Glastonbury is already sold out, but in brighter news, Bestival is moving from its inconvenient perch on the Isle of Wight to Dorset.

My final and favourite festival has to be Boomtown; a festival with everything.

Lights lights lights.

The dedication of the organisers to create a truly unforgettable weekend is unbelievable. Every taste of music is accommodated in a separate part of the make-believe town; actors waltz around inviting you to take part in elevated sock-wars and mass pillow-fights.

everyone around you is unwaveringly friendly, content and inviting

What’s more, everyone around you is unwaveringly friendly, content and inviting- we were even blessed with a weekend of completely blue skies and warm rays!

Some handily condensed prices are for current tier weekend tickets including booking fees.

Love Supreme/ 30th June- 2nd July/ £132/ Glynde, East Sussex

Samphire/ 7th-9th July/ £96 (includes camping)/ Porlock Hill, Somerset

Outlook/ 7th-10th September/ £141/ Fort Punta Christo, Pula, Croatia

Love International/ 28th June- 5th July/ £137.50/ The Garden, Tisno, Croatia

Love Saves The Day/ 27th-28th May/ £71.50/ Eastville Park, Bristol

Tomorrowland/ 21st-23rd July, 28th-30th July/ £242.78/ Boom, Belgium

Exit/ 6th-9th July/ £97.90/ Petrovaradin Fortress, Novi Sad, Serbia

Gottwood/ 8th-11th June/ £176.50/ Anglesey, Wales

Nozstock/ 21st-23rd July/ £109/ Herefordshire, West Midlands

Bestival/ 7th-10th September/ £184.50/ Lulworth Estate, Dorset

Boomtown/ 10th– 13th August/ £202/ Matterley Estate nr Winchester, Hampshire

If you want  to know more or just tell us about your festival feels, get in touch!

Facebook // Epigram Travel // Twitter

Share this…Share on Facebook0Tweet about this on TwitterShare on Google+0Share on LinkedIn0