Clemmie Bailey declares her love for the Naked Chef, and explains why he’s come to be our Nation’s Favourite.

As famous chefs go, there are few names better known in British households than Jamie Oliver. Whether your Mum has a selection of his cookbooks on her shelves, you’ve watched his multitude of television series, or you’ve visited Jamie’s Italian at the top of Park Street, it’s fairly unlikely you’ve never benefited from his brand’s prolific presence in the food industry.

However, I’d like to show you why there could always be room for a little bit more of the naked chef in your life. Jamie’s rise to fame followed his appearance in the 1997 documentary, Christmas at the River Café, prompting the BBC to offer him his own show with his first series, The Naked Chef, debuting in 1999.

His public career has since gone from strength to strength, starring in a plethora of his own television series and writing numerous bestselling cookbooks in the intervening years.

His recipes demonstrate a style rooted in the marriage of good, simple ingredients to celebrate flavour.

The development of his brand has been marked by his passionate exploration of global cuisine, whilst his curiosity for the culinary traditions of other cultures lend his books and personality the endearing and immersive qualities which make them such a joy.

However, what elevates him from being a brilliant chef and businessman to an true inspiration, is the way he has used his widespread fame to campaign for improvements in the food industry and provide education and training to those from disadvantaged backgrounds. He famously started the Feed Me Better campaign, pushing for the elimination of junk food in school meals, and garnered enough support to force the government to address the issue.

His commitment to helping people improve their nutritional habits is reflected by his ensuing shows, Jamie’s School Dinners, Jamie’s Ministry of Food and Jamie Oliver’s Food Revolution, and the continued focus in his recipes on using fresh and healthy ingredients.

He continues to take active involvement in campaigning and charity work. Take a look at his website and links to his various foundations where you can easily find information on the latest news in sustainability and tackling obesity.

Related Article: Eating Healthy: Can you keep your New Years Resolution?

Above all, though, it is the joy and passion which goes into his food which makes him so inspirational, and also such an important chef to follow as a student. His recipes demonstrate a style rooted in the marriage of good, simple ingredients to celebrate flavour.

This results in exciting and easy-to-follow recipes which provide a great introduction to anyone who wants to expand their range of cooking and, most importantly, leave room for the development of a personal style. If there’s a dish you’ve always wanted to try, or a country whose cuisine you have a particular interest in, the chances are Jamie Oliver has written a book, recipe or blog post about it.

So, if you’re not already as much of a fan as I am, next time you’re home for the holidays grab one of the inevitable classic Jamie Oliver cookbooks from your Mum’s bookshelf, and try one of his recipes out for yourself.

Are you a fan of Jamie Oliver too? Why not try out one of his fabulous recipes, upload a picture, and tag us on Instagram? Get cooking!

Facebook // Epigram Food // Twitter