The Film and TV editors talk about their favourite summer films and recommend what shows you should be bingeing. 

Charlie Gearon – Editor

Summer Film: A Ghost Story

You may know director David Lowery’s work through his 2016 family-friendly fantasy romp Pete’s Dragon. This is not a good indication of what his most recent feature has to offer. A slow-paced and poignant meditation on death, loss and time, A Ghost Story is a haunting and original work. Starring Rooney Mara and Casey Affleck, it follows the exploits of a deceased man who returns to the house he once lived in as a ghost, dressed in a simple white sheet with two eye holes cut out. The aesthetic power of A Ghost Story must be seen to be believed. The most successful aesthetic experimentation of any film this year.

TV Show: Bojack Horseman (Netflix)

With the release of its 4th season earlier this month, Netflix’s animated original is at its strongest and most insightful. The show follows the exploits of its titular character Bojack Horseman, a washed up, alcoholic actor who’s barely worked since his sitcom Horsin’ Around was cancelled in the mid-90s. It’s a powerful and laugh-out-loud exploration of psychology, mental-health and the vacuousness of celebrity and fame. An unprecedented and first class piece of television.

Gabi Spiro – Deputy Editor

Summer Film: Logan Lucky (in cinemas now)

Heist film by the director of Oceans 11, 12 and 13, does exactly what it says on the tin. The complex and improbable plan to steal millions from a motor racing track in North Carolina keeps you at the edge of your seats. The film is scattered with sentimental American-style reminders of family love, and we get to witness Daniel Craig with a questionable hair style. Though the hillbilly accents are, at points, undecipherable, and it’s not exactly high culture, Logan Lucky is very entertaining and definitely worth a watch.

Are you feeling lucky?

TV show: Back (Channel 4)

The lovable, witty David Mitchell and Robert Webb return to our screens with new 6-part comedy Back. The double act conforms to their Peep Show stereotypes, Mitchell uptight and underachieving and Webb egotistically annoying. The couple are reunited by a death in their dysfunctional family. This dry comedy by Simon Blackwell promises to be entertaining – and very quotable.

Tim Bustin – Online Editor

Summer film: Dunkirk

A master of the cinematic experience, Nolan’s latest is a beautifully shot, uneasy experience of war; no character backstories and minimal plot, this is an unrestrained, slow-building torment, reducing characters to their universally-relatable raw emotions, which are then heightened to their pulsating max. Thousands of soldiers are attempting to escape Dunkirk’s beaches, suffering air raids, drowning and freezing seas that all keep pushing them back to shore; it translates into inescapable feelings of pure panic, of restlessness and anger that wrings the audience non-stop for the near two hour ride.

TV show: Rick and Morty (Netflix)

Retaining the essence of zany improv layered atop a deeply philosophical backbone, season 3 has continued being a packed blast of nihilistic fun, the sci-fi parody show now noticeably culminating into higher complexity and darker content. No other series can beat its insane energy, every short episode of drunken genius Rick and idiot grandson Morty’s adventures somehow juggling crazy artwork, parodies of everything from The Avengers to Stephen King, taking the time to remind you of the futility of your own existence and, of course, shouting dumb catchphrases.
So, let’s raise a bottle of Szechuan Sauce and toast a ‘Wubba lubba dub dub!’ to a constantly fresh series that only keeps getting better.

Ashley Yonga – Deputy Online Editor

Summer Movie: Spider-Man: Homecoming 

How many reboots is too many? Any other actor, in any other Spider-Man movie I would have said 3 but this movie was a fresh take on Spider-Man’s teenage experience. It felt more like a high school movie with sprinkles of superhero angst and brought Peter Parker back to his roots as the childishly optimistic, wanna-be hero he was meant to be. Michael Keaton’s villain was both terrifying and grounded, bringing about some of the film’s best scenes. I wanted to love this movie and luckily I was more than able to.

Spider-Man swung home to Marvel this year

TV Show: Orphan Black (Netflix)

Sometimes when you hear lots about a TV show your expectations are so high that the only way it can go is down. With the final season of Orphan Black airing this summer there was no better time to pick up this binge-worthy show. It’s everything people have said and more. A show with a clear plot, and no filler episodes can be so rare to find and Orphan Black is one of them. Pulse-racing, heart stopping, jaw dropping drama with poignant moments of comedy and romance, Orphan Black is a show that lives up to its hype and so much more. If you haven’t seen it or even if you’ve been a loyal follower, this is a great show to binge. 

What was your favourite film of the summer? Let us know online:

Facebook // Epigram Film & TV // Twitter