Ashley Yonga compiles her guide of must-see shows to watch this summer.

Halfway through the summer and you’re running out of shows to watch. This is a dilemma that no-one should have to suffer through with many weeks and countless hours that are unaccounted for. Sure, travelling is fun, but why not experience a variety of cities (and worlds) in the comfort of your own bed? It’s much cheaper and consists of far less planning since I’ve already done that for you. Here’s a list of some shows to watch if you’re looking for ways to fill those long summer days.

Full House

Whether you’re watching for the first time or re-watching for the third time, this show is sure to put you in the greatest mood. The 80s/90s sitcom is about a dad and his three daughters, who have just lost their mum when his best friend and brother-in-law move in to help raise them.

Cue a series of hilarious yet poignant scenes between these incredible actors while you watch these three little girls grow up. It stars the Olsen twins and John Stamos as well as a series of guest stars, young and old, that you’d recognise from TV today. This is the perfect show if you’re just looking for something light-hearted and fun and easy to blaze through.

Where to find it: Netflix

We love them!!!❤️ by @ourloveforfullhouse

A post shared by Full House (@_full___house_) on

Girlboss

This show pleasantly surprised me. Another comedy but with so much more to it than initially meets the eye. Perfect for anyone that’s ever had that feeling ‘What the hell is life about?’, Girlboss is a show about Sophia, a woman in her mid-20s who’s feeling a bit lost when she decides to start selling some vintage clothes on eBay. The story is a ‘loose retelling’ of the real life of Sophia Amoruso, the CEO of a major online shopping website whose name you’ll just have to watch to find out (or Google it, whichever floats your boat).

Girlboss does not stray from nitty gritty of being young and confused, and the complexities that comes with trying to start and run your own business. It takes place in the early 2000s which makes the pop culture references golden taking #tbt to a whole new level. The best part of the show is how much you root for Sophia, you feel her failures and cherish her wins. For a 25-minute show of 13 episodes that’s quite the accomplishment.

Where to find it: Netflix

UnREAL

If you’re looking for something with a bit more drama then UnREAL is the one for you. A show about the filming of a reality show, this is perfect for anyone obsessed with reality TV or anyone who just plain disagrees with it. The main character, Rachel, is a complex and beautifully flawed character who you watch unravel through the episodes.

The show’s take on dating shows is thought-provoking and each character and storyline is given enough room to grow and change. Rachel is the perfect anti-hero as she continuously tries to do the right thing and ends up falling just short of it. Unfortunately, the second season is not as strong as the first as it starts to feel like a bit of a soap opera but the overall verdict is “Must watch”.

Where to find it: Amazon Prime

Life in Pieces

Another Amazon Prime show, another sitcom about a family. The dramas involved in this list are quite heavy and in order to balance it out, a course of comedy is sure to cleanse your palette. This one is a single-camera show about a family of three which splits its episodes into 4 stories, an original idea which has made it feel much richer.

You would think that with disjointed storylines, the show would feel choppy but the plots are perfectly inter-woven so this only adds to its sense of family. It’s the perfect show for road trips or plane journeys, so download the Amazon Prime app and watch away.

Where to find it: shock, it’s Amazon Prime.

Handmaid’s Tale

Of all the shows on the list, this is the one to leave the strongest impression. Incredibly dark – both in tone and filming – Handmaid’s Tale is a dystopian epic about a society where the ‘infertile’ wives of high-ranking officials get Handmaid’s whose job is to get pregnant for them. It’s best to know as little as possible about this society and how this purpose is fulfilled as the story unfolds slowly, beautifully and frighteningly in front of you.

It leaves a bad taste in your mouth and makes you fear for the future of society especially in the current political climate. Ironically, the show is very female-led with a star-studded cast including, Mad Men’s Elizabeth Moss, Chuck’s Yvonne Strahovski, Orange is the New Black’s Samira Wiley and Gilmore Girls’ Alexis Bledel. If you watch nothing else on this list, make sure you watch Handmaid’s Tale.

Where to find it: Hulu/4oD

Episode 9… #HandmaidsTale #HuluandPanic

A post shared by Elisabeth Moss (@elisabethmossofficial) on

Poldark

It’s no secret that this is my favourite show of the year and it’s back for the summer with its third, and most epic season. If you aren’t already watching Poldark allow me to enlighten you to the beauty and talent of Aidan Turner (Ross Poldark) and Eleanor Tomlinson (Demelza Carne), whose acting and chemistry is powerful and moving. Nobody does period dramas quite like BBC and with a storyline like Winston Graham’s, this one has taken the whole world by storm.

The third season picks up a few months from where the second season left off with (spoilers, do not read if you haven’t yet watched it and are thinking of doing so) Elizabeth very heavily pregnant and everyone unsure who’s baby it is. This season has been setting up for some serious conflicts as is the nature of Poldark which will be beautiful to watch. It is currently in the middle of the season with just four weeks to go so get watching.

Where to watch it: Netflix for the old seasons/BBC one for the new one

Goodbye dear friend! 😭#Poldark

A post shared by Official Poldark (@official_poldark) on

Game of Thrones

This show needs no introduction. If you happen to be one of those few that does not watch Game of Thrones then run and hide this summer because the penultimate season has just begun and the world is bracing themselves for what will be the greatest season of television in decades. The last season ended pretty strong and set up the final battles that will be unfolding before our very eyes soon enough and I don’t think anyone is ready. The cast is tight-lipped about what is coming up this season, as is their way so

The last season ended pretty strong and set up the final battles that will be unfolding before our very eyes soon enough and I don’t think anyone is ready. The cast is tight-lipped about what is coming up this season, as is their way, so naturally we’re all going into this new season blind. If you’re thinking of starting the show then the greatest advice is to just stay off the internet for the next 7 weeks because the only thing people love more than watching Game of Thrones is talking about Game of Thrones.

Where to find it: New season on Sky Atlantic (or if you’re lucky enough to be in America/Canada HBO)

#GameofThrones Season 7 begins 7.16 on @HBO. #GoTS7

A post shared by gameofthrones (@gameofthrones) on

What are you watching this summer?

Facebook // Epigram Film & TV // Twitter