Bristol Gradfest is fast approaching, showcasing a spectacular line up of films from this year’s graduating students. Jessica Jemalem Ginting spoke to Lindsay Brophy and Marion Frey about their film, Reconnect.

In the futuristic year of 2035, traditional norms of communication have been abolished. A lonely young woman hacks into government censored websites in search of something more.

As she navigates deeper into the vestiges of a lost utopian past, she finds herself in the centre of a movement that seeks only one thing: rebellion.

It’s very Black Mirror-esque, but Marion promised us that it would be an original take on the subject

The concept was formed when Marion, a fourth year student, was on her year abroad in Spain. She spoke about a moment when she witnessed the most beautiful sunset one evening, but the moment was ruined by tourists taking endless selfies and disrupting the overall atmosphere. She then began to consider the effects of social media in our lives and ways in which she could explore this in a dystopian film.

It’s very Black Mirror-esque, but Marion promised us that it would be an original take on the subject. She met Lindsay when she returned from her year abroad and the two of them decided to collaborate on the film. Pre-production began around Christmas, and production commenced in February. They are currently in the final stages of the editing process before the showcase.

Marion said that collaborating with Lindsay helped her develop her initial idea into the film that she conceived. She said that ‘it was hard going from the original idea then building something out of it, but with two people it’s a lot easier balancing the workload and developing it into the final product.’

The two of them are interested in pursuing their film careers after graduation. Lindsay mentioned that she would like to stay in Bristol work on producing and developing other projects, while Marion would like to focus more on the writing aspect in future films.

Reconnect will be screened on Tuesday, May 16th from 3:45 to 4:45pm. The film will be shown along with two others, Berenice and Untitled, with a Q&A session following the screening.

Are you looking forward to Gradfest? Let us know on @EpigramFilm.

Facebook // Epigram Film & TV // Twitter