Despite being labelled as an ‘overrated’ actress by He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named, Lizzie Holmes pays tribute to one of the world’s most acclaimed stars, Meryl Streep, who has a place in all our hearts.

President Donald Trump recently berated Meryl Streep as ‘one of the most over-rated actresses in Hollywood’ in a recent edition of his notorious twitter episodes.

In less than 140 characters, he managed to align himself with those left-wing liberals, whom he professes to loath, closer than one could ever imagine possible.

In fact, it was Streep who first declared herself as over-rated in her 2004 Emmy acceptance speech for Best Actress for Angels in America. Holding the record for the most Academy Award nominations of any actor, having been nominated 20 times since her first nomination in 1979 for her performance in The Deer Hunter, leaves you questioning, how? How has she managed to amass more nominations than any other in her field, surpassing her closest rivals by a staggering 8 nominations, with both Katherine Hepburn and Jack Nicholson holding joint second position?

Streep has been monumental in shaping dynamic female roles in the film industry in order to avert negative portrayals of women. For instance, in Kramer vs. Kramer, Streep was cast alongside Dustin Hoffman as an unhappily married woman who abandons her husband and child. Streep felt that the character was too callous and insisted that it was not a fair reflection of women who endure marriage breakdowns and custody battles. The film producers agreed and the script was reviewed and, despite the controversy that the film incited among feminists, Streep undeniably cultivated a more fascinating and fair portrayal of her character. For her performance, Streep won both the Golden Globe Award and Academy Award for Best Supporting Actress.

Streep’s transformative tendencies have allowed her to refine her abilities as a formidable actor, as she moves between each role. From a Polish Holocaust survivor caught in a love triangle (Sophie’s Choice), to the poised and imperious Miranda Priestly (The Devil Wears Prada), to the Abba-singing, all-dancing single mother in the box office hit Mama-Mia, or to her astounding portrayal of former British Prime Minister, Margaret Thatcher (The Iron Lady), Streep tests all boundaries of her capabilities.

While many have labeled Streep as a technical actor, she claims that it is her love of her initial reading of scripts that determines her performances. Streep professes that she has no method to acting and that she cannot put into words her approaches to each role. Known for her mastery of accents, with perhaps her most notable being her polish accent in the 1982 film Sophie’s Choice, which earned her an Academy Award for Best Actress, she has established herself as a true chameleon of the acting world. It would seem that there is no challenge that Streep rejects and she instead revels in the complexities of the roles she chooses to play.

So when we have the privilege to look at the career of one of Hollywood’s most accomplished actors, who has brought such richness and diversity to each role she plays, we cannot help but question the judgment of the most powerful man in the world.

As one of the most successful, acclaimed and talented actresses of our time, it would seem that the magic of Meryl has not permeated through the walls of the White House. But there is hope yet.

Mad for Meryl? Let us know on @EpigramFilm.

Facebook // Epigram Film & TV // Twitter